Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  October 25, 2013 12:00am-2:01am EDT

12:00 am
haven't had as much success in terms of building blocks for our campaign. ..
12:01 am
a. >> the edge drones are one of the biggest reasons. the other bay cree said is guantanamo is still open. with all the efforts to reach place the emphasis of normal constitutional trials the fact that it is still open that is all the rest the world needs to know. we still have over 160 people locked up in the prison a and that has presented an enormous challenge. thomas friedman said it best the president has faced as chaotic or difficult situation as obama.
12:02 am
every day who do you support talking about egypt or libya or syria it is a chaotic situation right now. everybody wants us to do something different. but the trouble is as is the case we want a democratic government that truly represents the people. we want stability and a stop the rise of extremism. mubarak brought stability but not a democracy or freedom. one of the problems of saudi arabia right now with the democratically elected government was removed from the matter how you describe
12:03 am
how but that is in contrary that the democratic government that was removed was not terribly democratic. that is the enormous challenge for crowhop so the federal government here in the wes has been unable to function or pass budget. the nihilism of the tea party, the basic notion that all they want to do is hurt the federal government and they are discovering that a ball is a real problem. one of the things the federal government does is provide for our national security. if you hurt the federal government you heard the ability to do national security act cannot imagine what it is like to work at the fed to god right now. was talking to people
12:04 am
yesterday the federal government is open that is the lobar that is that we are open. [laughter] sequestration every for five months or continuing resolution no way we can function. what every may seek how large the federal government should be is totally unacceptable to set up a situation where it can function day to day basis so that hurts with the ability to work with the rest of the world they do not c.s. as incredible force. those were some of the challenges to effectively advance the policy. the things i think we need to change is a need for greater transparency. we also need to make clear why retarget there is a
12:05 am
bunch of things. those that just adopt the ideology and who is to? ready to make clear the goal but there is a lot of other groups that we don't like that right now we applaud attack to put them in a different category it is clearly self-defense going after groups in the thing about that is it changes it is pakistan for of all time then the other rare bomber all of a sudden these attacks come out of yemen. i make no apologies to the target if a target as that is the classic definition of self-defense is you should make that case of
12:06 am
apologetically but far too often we don't make it clear why be are doing it. i addressed the of the need for secrecy but we don't have to reveal all of it but it is my personal rather special operations reedy to briefly explain why. that is our decision we can review what we want to reveal. we do have to repeal the death this is why did it was clearly self-defense. it is good the president moves us to getting in touch title sides of their its transparency and we need to be more inclusive of congress to let them know what we're doing and why. also without getting into a lengthy explanation there is
12:07 am
no need we cannot close the prison but we should it would be a step in the right direction. third, is something we have died we just need to do a more broadly that killed partner capacity is set of u.s. showing up latticework with local allies to stop the insurgency before it gets started but make sure that local forces enforce the law we have done this effectively with the philippines they are battling the resurgence by and large has been effective in the last couple of months but no u.s. person has ever fired a shot. but we have been digital. the same with the horn of africa working with the ethiopian and god does to build of their capabilities
12:08 am
so it is not dictated by the united states of america. that would help and if we could build that local partner capacity. and then let us try to get to the point where refined the government on a regular basis. also the last thing is we need to better manage expectations for what the west can do. of large part of a problem like israel and saudi arabia is they expect whatever problem it is. and there always has been a far greater gap between expectations and their capabilities because the rest of the world is more powerful it is not as dominant as they used to be.
12:09 am
as a result of the movie and play that led to attacks on the embassy that this would not be on the internet if president obama did not wanted there which was an interesting way to look at the world but we need to make it clear we're not controlling everything. the u.s. senate is the international norm but somehow the sole responsibility of the united states of america to enforce it that reinforces the message is something bad is happening in the world because the west decided to allow it and we could decide otherwise. that is not true when i visited a refugee camp in
12:10 am
northern jordan they said why don't you stop this? aside must be stopped why isn't the u.s. doing it? >> because we are not capable. we cannot fix every problem in the world but the obama administration understands that. they pushed early to have been more cooperative approach to work with our allies how we solve the problems instead of assuming the u.s. had to show up and fix it. that is what we cannot meet as an expectation. here didn't do enough for we did too much we pulled out after the soviets fell within that led to problems now we're back in if we have to set realistic expectations. this will be a long tough battle.
12:11 am
with al qaeda and the affiliate's we have to continue to prosecute but if we make those changes we can prosecute more effectively to build greater support to have a better chance to win the long term ideological war that after all is the most important piece stick figure very much. that was a tour day force over the most relevant issues of security policy. we will be challenged tuesday inside our time. i will poll a few of the elements together that you raise. the use of the unmanned systems in the illegal strikes in particular, there is a general consensus that they will become ubiquitous. and while it is a real now
12:12 am
with a and c will proliferate. what is your sense how the united states given the struggles of transparency and perception of the system somehow unique and different with a cruise missile what is the way the u.s. kim made the rest of the world to set norms in this area? >> that is difficult to come back to the central argument fed nor is when is a lethal strike appropriate? i don't know if the drones are the unmanned systems. [laughter] whenever i am suppose to call them. [laughter] but that the west should be careful because they will develop these, a true. but how they use them will
12:13 am
fit in to the same conundrums of what is the appropriate way to fight? aside has killed tens of thousands apparently a few thousand with chemical weapons. and i agree but if you kill someone in war the instrument that you use is only one piece and not the most important but i do think we can make it cochlear urge that we're fighting a war because people have forgotten that and they assume the drones we have them we will use them when you have to make a self-defense case with international law that i think is right there to make and frankly when you read the other reports, the main
12:14 am
complaint is they don't know. you are not telling us why you duse's or that it is illegally. but the point is transparency and oversight. that is true of any military action. the world has changed in terms of information i cannot begin to articulate how we manage all of that but using it as a weapon of war we should stick to traditional norms. >> going into the use of military force the president said he is interested to modify. what are your thoughts if it is still applicable from pakistan to other theaters?
12:15 am
and how congress can help kraft a way forward? >> it is still applicable. it has gone through a fairly tortured history because originally it was tied directly to those who perpetrated 9/11 and it came from court decisions then we codified that basically allowed it to be those groups of taliban forces but then within the self defense context. i would say it is highly unlikely that we will change if you change a punctuation on dash market tenures worth of lawsuits umbel sides congress must have meant this. as if we move as one body. we have 535 different intense. good luck figuring that out.
12:16 am
that is why the white house was as nervous as hell because not that they wanted it to be more or less authority but if you change it to give rise to legal action so it will stay where it's at but as al qaeda in the group's move around there is a lot of different groups that affiliate with tv cleve violent ideology of al qaeda but only a few that plots and planned attacks against us. those are the ones we need to focus on afghanistan, pakistan, yemen , somalia was a tougher question we now have questions with a q i am we have not reached that point but i think it does flexibility to fire the
12:17 am
targets it would give more trouble than it would solve. >> fair warning to the audience i have your questions ready as the ranking member of defense with your a comments about the effect of the shutdown and continued uncertainty of the national security community what is it that you think of being able to do in this environment with the overall strategic front to have a pathway for word with the community in particular? >> we have a variety of issues in different pieces to give greater flexibility estes' confront the challenges but we continue to be strong but the special
12:18 am
operations command could be a key piece of this allied development of building partner capacity as preparation of the environment. what to prepare it for? but we try to prepare so we don't have insurgency's but that is trading security forces, making serve governments to try to build local population support to emphasize that with this baby ideological struggle you think drones strikes have negative consequences ended 100,000 plus troops that is not a winner. so trying to build up capacity use him as asymmetric tools give that
12:19 am
flexibility and that is great but as long as we go from crisis to crisis with sequestration if you know, better it is tough to function if you don't know how much money you have or how to spend it. >> host: the loss of microphones going around please give your name and affiliation. >> thank you for your understatement interest-rate to describe the political situation today looking at the struggle coveted years ago the defense science port -- board released report on the war on terror the united states cannot win unless we win the war of ideas and we're losing that war and that is true today. during world war ii we had
12:20 am
great propaganda during the cold war we did extremely well and reagan's comment take down the wall, by are we so inept and almost derelict to not have a broad black or gray propaganda campaign to discredit what we need to do? the only thing it has done is turn the use of the internet to hit al qaeda. so why can we not launch the ideological campaign that is essential and have big dividends for a small amount of money? >> first of all, a great point i am quoting tom friedman twice in the same morning but we're not winning the ideological struggle in syria is a great example because you have a side that is not popular and
12:21 am
you have moderate democrats to make a better style of government. but not western that is one of the challenges we have a we should not a purchase by saying we want the world to be like us we cannot blame them for that it is not the same as the cold war. the way we won that is here is your grocer's store here is ours, we wind. but religion is much more central so trying to convince them to be like us will not work. we tried that but with syria have modern then al qaeda and foreign fighters coming from all over the muslim world they're all coming on the side of al qaeda. there is one thing to fight for the free syrian movement
12:22 am
then i am not aware that gives an idea we're not doing as well as we should we have very little credibility that is a problem. as a member of congress i can tell hill a great in painful detail i thought it was interesting in egypt that both sides for cleaning the other side had u.s. support to prepare even those opposed to the muslim brotherhood said the u.s. was behind them. but basically it appears u.s. is involved by definition and, it is incredible. i do not think we have been as creative as we need to be. the al qaeda movement has chilled more muslims.
12:23 am
but we can very clearly show he did with iraq we were successful with the sirach awakening these people are killing year and a terrible so we need to use that more effectively but the challenge is in the transparent world how did you do propaganda? we have not figured that out to many cases that is about plausible deniability. that makes it much more difficult with the hole and a say in the lot of those articles were just wrong. so the credibility is a challenge the most effective
12:24 am
way is part of your capacity the way to approach it to get credible elegance is there are some within the muslim world that have to be the messengers. or it will not go over well. rationed focus our efforts there for the message. >> i am james and kennedy from the open society federation as we expand our efforts with capacity we have democratic values first is achieving stability and we will continue to fund you consider engaging in questionable behavior but when we do that we may lose the second challenge so where does congressional oversight come into play to find the right balance?
12:25 am
>> that is one of the single biggest problems because there is no government that will have something that people can criticize. there'll be an argument they're not as free or as fair. things like fell leahy amendment to limit the ability of you have situations where military commits atrocities in we have to pull out if the democratic government is overthrown with molly or egypt, i don't have an easy answer but on't have an easy answer but i think disengagement is the wrong approach if you do anything bad we are out is more harmful than helpful. we need to continue to
12:26 am
emphasize the fact is we are more aggressively trying to push these allies to have greater respect for human rights to be more direct pratique but it will never be a perfect system in the power of negative campaigning i love that amnesty international came out where is the study of all the people that al qaeda house killed and how indiscriminately they have gone after civilians? it is not even comparable but they're not even trying? let's have a little balance and point out the people we are fighting has killed far more innocent people than we have and they do it intentionally as part of their plan so we have to emphasize the alternative if
12:27 am
we're held up to the standard in the u.s. to only support perfect government with no rules that is a war you can never win. >> transparent but they can
12:28 am
12:29 am
also choose to release even if this is why we did it. as i said in the amnesty report the biggest part is no transparency. the administration says it was. personally i believe them but the broader public has not seen the information so understandably they are skeptical and we cannot be transparent to either it is just doing the oversight and then cannot talk about it. >> also of the u.n. report that came out a few days before the amnesty report hits this very hard with transparency.
12:30 am
>> i am from upi. would you advocates for repercussions in those cases is? also critiques it would interfere with national security decisions. >> no. this is a more. lettuce what people don't understand. in war, mistakes are made. civilians suffer in the war zone. they always do. some of the problem with the arguments with the and me and vehicle campaign we try to argue this is different because they're more discriminating. but it is somewhat better
12:31 am
than a traditional military invasion or the f-16 or the cruise missile but it is still more in an area where civilians are vulnerable. we went through this where there were times those that killed 70 the afghan civilians but i don't see any evidence of that level of criminal intent but in war mistakes will happen. the second part? m. scarry. there is a balance but all the ministrations have the attitude we can share nothing if we share information that will make us vulnerable which is
12:32 am
ironic in this day and age when it comes out anyway part of the justification not talking to congress we don't trust them but many times we learned in the paper from what was leaked by the administration when it be better to tell us in the first place? i do stand there are sources you want to protect that but how does that make us more vulnerable in one paragraph to say here is what we know? this is why we took the shot in self-defense because this person is affiliated with this group i am also aware if you do that, how do you know, ? fed you can say it is classified but the president obama speech and all with
12:33 am
the last year lays this out the administration and sometimes believes they assemble the fact a and give a speech then it is done. we explain it the thessalonian go back to work is a more constant process. a message has to be repeated i always say those that were closely are absolutely sick to death the moment is just begins to penetrate with the people that you try to reach you cannot just say the three alone that is when i think the greater choose barons he would be healthy and doesn't jeopardize national security. >> congressman you keep
12:34 am
saying we are at more. we are be your remarks reminded me of the general of u.s. involvement in vietnam where we may kill more of their soldiers but eventually we will tire of the more. the fact is budget is down in sequestration is a lot of the land how much longer can united states afford to be fighting all these wars against the enemy that will respond as long as you're prosecuting the efforts? this seems to have a limited amount of money but the prosecution needs more amounts. >> i disagree very strongly but how much longer can we prosecute the war? as long as it takes for it is not yet known for a domino theory but a group of people as we sit here today trying to figure out how to kill as many of us as possible.
12:35 am
the good news it is not quite as expensive as you describe hopefully we have learnt is full-scale 100,000 tripp invasions' are not a successful way to prosecute the war but if we build partner capacity it is far cheaper to do this we have felt a excellent infrastructure and have been very successful at disrupting those cells that target us the larger problem is the ideology in this task metastasized that has a huge opening but that is a different problem frankly that the rest of the world are responsible for the specific problems to stop the terrorist groups we
12:36 am
cannot give up on that we will stop trying to stop them and see what happens if the greek can do it in a cost-effective manner it will be vastly more easy if we we get rid of the know nothing nihilism the federal government is awful people say the tea party is running the country know it is grover norquist. [laughter] he said he doesn't want to eliminate the federal government just shrink it down so we could drown in the bathtub. [laughter] that is the ideology that the republican house is governing on if we can argue all day long there is plenty of things wrong with the democratic party but we're at a point with you consistently kicked the crap out of the federal government not funding it, threatening a shutdown
12:37 am
of reform and is threatening not to raise the debt ceiling to stabilize the economy, that undermines our ability so now i hope we will get over this that definitely makes it more difficult but it is too important to walk away from. >> what about domestic use of drones? what are your thoughts? >> did is a difficult issue by saying that is not the topic. [laughter] i a more focused but it is a huge problem. we have had that issue of tv cameras proliferating major controversy they want to put cameras up in the port of
12:38 am
seattle and there is backlash counties and cities that wanted to get drones but i could give a lengthy answer about the policy implications but i will say it is a big challenge. talk about who we have captured in the bombing in boston to enable us to fairly quickly security verses' liberty people have been debating that for a long time and it is getting increasingly complicated due to technology. >> u.s. army colonel retired i used to cheese counter insurgency but i have to say this is the most brilliant, lew said description i have heard how
12:39 am
we use drones did what we use them in dealing with the terrorist threat from whatever source. but my question is my feeling is from hearing obama speech on national security in your presentation this morning, that his idea, what he works towards is basing help the dat he works towards is basing help the drones using them now because we're at a war. they work to a target that targets us. but you gave such a great description of the long-range problems of my question is committed to believe his intention that was implicit the war on
12:40 am
terrorism must end. implicit in is the ideological par by facing up the drones to turn this over to police forces or cooperation. >> a think it we got it. >> i got it. i think that is the intense it is a challenge in the battle we fight to congress. senator graham is on the exact opposite side the controversy of being captured in libya in basically think we should treat it as a war they were very aggressive about trying to say anyone recaptured affiliated with these groups should be in custody
12:41 am
domestically with the entire argument there is perceived there is a greater value you can get to question somebody fin in a traditional law-enforcement setting. the fbi has had a reasonable amount of success but even granting maybe there is a little more information out of the custody setting but the down side of the perpetual war approach is messed in the fact u.s. citizens get tired of a perpetual war approach that is why closing -- closing guantanamo we need to move toward getting rid of indefinite detention that we here in the u.s. have the right to grab anyone in the world to hold them without charge indefinitely.
12:42 am
we may have the justification eyes understand the benefit, but the down side is the vermis and cannot be dismissed. i would not to like kin -- like to live in the world that once we decided this important everybody else falls in line, that is the how the world works. we have to work together by a moving to the cliche of regular order we have eight her that helps us with the broader theological bourse in the q have talked to rob closing guantanamo but to reassure that you have in common nation to choose her release movement to raise
12:43 am
civilian or based facility to have paper referred approach how one gets to closing guantanamo? >> i don't think it is that complicated once we decide to do with. former staff member just moved over to the pentagon to help this effort and he knows this in great detail but there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 folks there. well over half along time ago were deemed to be saved but there are concerns but you would release those back to their home country. is there a risk? absolutely any time you release somewhere there is three -- a risk but that is
12:44 am
not a good criminal justice policy or counterterrorism policy or anybody else that we determine that we cannot release are tried and convicted we will house them here in the united states. over my career it frustrates me because it is amazing how they leave to conclusions but but that is patently absurd but it drives if the debate. keep in mind this was not a big liberal goals, john mccain, a georgia of the bush said why haven't we shut it down yet? but we will say that's a grew if we buy in the united
12:45 am
states of america right now we have mass murderers is some of the most violent people you can imagine. we have of terrorists in the west. if we as a society cannot safely hold dangerous people than we have problems that have nothing to do with guantanamo. we could safely hold in here and we should it is that simple but congress continues to block it. cautery get around that? i don't know but we release those that can and lock up the rest that super max facilities just like with countless others. >> time for one last quick question.
12:46 am
>> airforce and fellow here representative smith, thank you for being here today. you talk about the partnership capacity what will dylan and systems play mtc are should that be revised to allow u.s. leadership the missile technology control regime? >> there are different pieces with the eye is our platform to gather information that is the capacity that our partners don't have so how to rebuild that capacity? i think they can play a role and what i worry about is up paranoia free of the huge problem i think that is a
12:47 am
huge mistake i have done a lot of work on export control the i think that policy is a disaster because it is based on the premise that somehow we are the only ones capable of building military equipment so if we don't let it out it will not happen in. and with the industrial base. so when it was passed in the late '90s we have roughly two-thirds of the global satellite market but we're now down to about 20%. but basically if a component part would go into satellite you could not sell it without going into complicated if you sold the boat you could not export
12:48 am
that to anyone without going through this regime. we need to have a more open way. we shall then sell it to the allies. certainly we are concerned about these things falling into wrong hands but whether we are not selling them to our allies we have the overly paranoid approach that ultimately harms us. one of the things we got last year was a pretty dramatic reform of the export control regime that gave the administration flexibility and is moving forward in a positive direction by right now the regime is extremely problematic. finally, it is problematic
12:49 am
because it harms u.s. domestic energy. i would have this argument that people would be yelling at me we cannot choose corporations and businesses and profits over national security and i traded over the -- tried over as a decade that is not the choice because the industrial base is important to national security. when did vintages for decades is the best and brightest companies of technology and equipment were u.s. companies. not that we can buy overseas but trust me, we have a vastly better relationship with u.s. based company to be ever needs for security if they are the leaders. if we hamstring them so they cannot compete, they will cease to be the leaders then we lose the national security advantage.
12:50 am
but we will not dominate post rolled toward to but but to get the markets is extremely problematic. >> host: will brief leave mentioned that in november there will be an unmanned drone system series and we will look at a lot of these issues coming up today. i will ask the audience to join me to thank representative smith for spending time today. thank you very much. [applause]
12:51 am
>> i saw firsthand the tragedy is that children face when they're not cared for by loving parents. in the sheriff's office said first witness the horrors of child sex trafficking and it convinced me that we needed to do more to protect every fat risk of abuse. >> like we and others we have become accustomed to being isolated like victims of domestic violence from moving home to hold this allows us to easily adapt when traffickers moved us multiple times from hotel to hotel or city or state. they go without fear of punishment from and the population goes missing no
12:52 am
one looks for us. i want to make this clear. no one looks for a. >> when they hear sex trafficking they think only happens in other countries put their brought your to be sold but neither of those victims of child sex trafficking are american kids who are trafficked in small towns and large urban areas. of people are not aware of it they are not looking.
12:53 am
[applause] faq for the kind introduction and. also for having me here this morning.
12:54 am
this is the tenth anniversary i want to commend john and all of you for creating a institution that is essential to help direct public policy in this country. as democrats and republicans came together to eliminate the risk of default. this bipartisan action is messy a and damaging. there is no reason to let the moment slip through the figures. not with people yearning not win businesses are so high. think about where we were five years ago this comes a long way and back then the financial system was in
12:55 am
crisis the auto industry in freefall in foreclosures were mounting. in fact, the months before obama was sworn into office we were shedding 800,000 jobs per month in the word shrinking of the eight-point 3% rate the because of our resilience we have seen the economy grow in businesses experienced and create jobs and deficits shrink. private employers have added 7.6 million jobs and businesses have added more than 2 million jobs over the last year alone for a manufacturing has expanded while the market continues to improve but at the same time never deficits are half of what they were a few years ago but even though progress has been made our economy does not perform this full speed ahead has not been strong enough and one reason is marked by the
12:56 am
political brinksmanship and washington the government shut down in the debt ceiling impasse was an example the manufactured crisis but one in the last. even though we do not yet know the full extent of the damage we know it has slowed economic growth and job creation in this quarter. what we should learn is washington politics should not hurt workers or businesses or economy. a does not mean either side should abandon its beliefs but find common ground for the most pressing problems and with congressional leaders now working together to build the budget this is the moment to do that. as we move forward we should make a pro-growth agenda of the focus and we could advance this by taking bipartisan action for
12:57 am
sequestration to fix the broken system and fix the farm bill to kraft a budget agreement while maintaining fiscal discipline to have welcomed thoughts from democrats and republicans pretty bipartisan agreement should be doing two things at once to rebalancing with the medium and long-term deficit and making steps now to make us more competitive as we pursue a path it is crucial we close the polls and do some of the resources to make targeted investment in a few key areas like manufacturing restructure and as we do that we will replace the cuts of sequestration with common-sense measures they were designed to compel them to come together to create
12:58 am
sensible and balanced reduction policies but it should be no surprise the policy never intended to go into effect is producing results and raises many problems and now a bride bipartisan concern they may crucial areas of education and defense windows sequestration is said tried according to a the cbo it will reduce real gdp by 1.2% by the third quarter of next year. this translates into 1.6 million fewer american jobs. if we could agree on policies we could do something good for the economy and national security. in addition to putting together a budget congress can complete unfinished work congress needs to finish the
12:59 am
job and a bipartisan bill already passed the senate in ready for passage in the house of representatives. the legislation would not only bolster the borders and a clear way to earn citizenship but increase growth of more than $1 trillion by have highly skilled on to procurers to the shores and on top of that to generate new consumer demand while having payroll tax revenue to put social security and medicare on a more stable footing for or another bipartisan bill is the farm bill. bipartisan legislation has already passed the senate and is designed to protect farmers and ranchers to provide a safety net for those most vulnerable children. raises an opportunity to develop a bipartisan package that promotes job creation while protecting the most vulnerable it is time to get a bipartisan farm bill
1:00 am
signed into law. comprehensive budget the alternative to sequestration always amounts to a powerful job of a growth plan. but there is more to do to shift the economy into higher gear so it creates more jobs. we can make progress to move forward on what democrats and republicans have worked together on in the past. . .
1:01 am
>> we can find a pathway to progress. we'll we will meet the great task before us and secure our future. and i thank you all for everything that you do to advance policy ideas to tackle the challenges that we face today and as we look forward to build growth and shared prosperity. thank you so much. [applause] [applause] [applause] >> good morning. it is such a pleasure to be back at the center for american progress. together with some of our strongest leaders, i would like to thank john podesta for his
1:02 am
support for pioneering and galvanizing this incredible organization and for his years of dedication to progressive causes and changing the world. also anyone who is locked in his shoes knows that he continues the fight to help everyday working americans make the decisions they need to make so they can make ends meet. someone at the forefront of each progressive cause in becoming stronger advocates to be able to persuade our colleagues and really create a narrative that the nation is focused on i would like to thank you for that. we have been working at this hurtful decade and we are here to celebrate that decade, a decade of being the court of our strong progressive agendas and fairness and equality in every american to quality schools and safe neighborhoods to national security. it has been a leading force in talking about the economy and how we can grow and strengthen
1:03 am
the middle class again. as i have said right here just a month ago, i believe the key to unleashing the potential of our economy is empowering women and making sure that they have a fair shot succeed in this economy so that our whole economy can grow and provide the best they can for their families. that is what i want to talk about today. the face of our workforce has changed and increasingly it is women who are the primary breadwinners for their families. women are the primary income earners for a growing share of homes all across america. in 1960, only 11% of families with children under 18 years old light upon their mothers as primary breadwinners. that was just 11%. today that number is 40% of families with children under the age of 18 can pay the bills and
1:04 am
make ends meet and balance the family finances and provide food on their table. but you wouldn't know that by looking at the work place policies that we have in place today. congress and state capitals are stuck in the past and have not kept up with a piece of this new economy in the face of a modern workplace. the key to growing our economy and the american middle class that is built to make sure that we thrive is women. women will be the ones to ignite our economy and lead us towards revival of the middle class. this relies upon keeping every woman needs to be in the workplace and wants to be in the workplace they are earning a paycheck.
1:05 am
imagine any parent that had a baby, anyone who has a mother who is sick or who is leading care, you know how difficult that is. it is absolutely imperative that you can be with your child can learn how to nurse and juggle and do all the things and new moms learn. for every one of you who has an aging parent who has been so greatly ill that they need your time to be there the last few months, imagine how you would feel if your boss said no. we have in this country unpaid leave and we have the guarantee that you can have some leave. but for so many they cannot afford it and they are rushing to get back to work because they cannot miss a paycheck and so we have to do more for the families. it will create a self funded
1:06 am
without adding 1 penny for the deficit. based on models around the country, it works by establishing an independent trust fund that is supported by employees straight from their wages. this is an earned benefit like social security and it cost less than a cup of coffee a week and it is a small investment to be there for everyone at the moment that they desperately need. we also would like to focus our attention on something like the federal minimum wage. this is something that frustrates me that it is because most people don't know what the minimum wage actually is today. did you know that if you are working full-time 40 hours a week you will be earning $15,000
1:07 am
per year. that means that you are earning $3000 below the poverty level and this contains reward for work. our moral fiber is based on if you work hard every day, you'll earn your way into the middle class and that is not true for so many americans today. 33 million americans and 17 million of them are women. these are often women with children and it is not about college kids, these are adults being paid poverty wages for working 40 hours a week and i think it is disgraceful. when you are paying this or more, that is a living wage and they will spend every bit of that money and go straight into the economy and if you listen to
1:08 am
small business owners they will tell you that we would like this minimum wage raise because it means a growing economy and more money is being spent at the corner store and even economists agree that if you raise the minimum wage, you not only help those americans but create 100 30,000 new jobs. equally as important, and i want to go back to the working mom who is earning that per year, she has just had a baby and what are the options for a working mom that has just had a baby? she needs affordable day care, but you do not realize how on affordable day care is in this country. the average day care is $6000. if you have earned 15,000, you cannot afford it, the average day care for an infant is double that. you talk about a woman earning that in the average one is 10 k., and hopefully she has a mom
1:09 am
or a family member that is able to care for her child or perhaps that lady next door to, when she gets sick, she will miss work and when she does that in the minimum wage job, do you think that she will be fired? she might eat. and that is not a job that she can afford to lose. so i have a bill that will double the tax credit to cover the cost of tax care including productiveness is a business expense. this is what works for families and more can keep what they earn to put it back into the economy and equally related to something so obvious and clear and if we want to be investing in america, we should invest in our children's opportunities and
1:10 am
that means having universal pre-k. the scientists have studied this and said that high quality early learning leads to social development and key skills for any to have a future. this is absolutely essential and you know how much that they learned in the first five years of life. they learned letters and may hate have started to read. so many are at risk families and are starting kindergarten without those basic skills hampering their abilities to reach their potential. where you live should not determine the success of success in life and that is why we have to have quality pre-k for
1:11 am
everyone in america. economics work and for every one, it can generate up to $11 in economic benefits throughout the child's life according to the nih. one of them have access and more working mothers can spend time with their children, which is so essential and important. common sense could not make more sense than paying someone equal pay for equal work. today in this day and age. and i am sure that a lot of young women are being paid 70 cents on the dollar. if you are a woman of color and that has to change. now that we have more dual income households than ever before, your entire family is
1:12 am
being shortchanged and it holds the entire u.s. economy back. if women were paid a dollar on the dollar by 4%, that is a huge number. it is interesting because women are earning more college degree and then men and they already make up about half of the workforce. so where underpaying all of these female workers, we are undermining the ability to innovate and compete globally and it is essential that we have this actual workforce and that is why this package of common sense ideas are something that is so important. it's not part of the dominant
1:13 am
conversation today but it should be and that is why it is so amazing. making sure that they are on the national agenda. and essentially these issues are about the american dream and it has been most troubling to me that our country has been founded on this idea that whoever you are and whatever your background is, if you work hard, you will be able to achieve the american dream and it doesn't even exist for so many americans and that is wrong. it's not who we are as a people. and that is why i believe that these policies are important. i think we would grow the economy and compete better if we could, that we would have a
1:14 am
stronger country and i believe that when every woman in america gets her fair shot and has the opportunity to achieve their full potential, america will achieve her full potential. i love the way it was said in a convention speech but it's not what america can do for women, but it's what america can do for women. thank you. [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the center for progress. >> thank you. thank you so much. we have had a great afternoon
1:15 am
and it is my honor to introduce secretary kerry who just came from the plane, literally just drove over because he has been in europe obviously handling the countries greatest national security challenges and he has done a great job in the world one and nine months he's been here. we are thrilled to have him and we are really thrilled that he is able to be here with a host of issues, don't ask, don't tell, and energy and it is my great honor to introduce secretary john kerry. >> thank you. thank you very much. it is wonderful for me to be
1:16 am
here. we come from the same part of the country and share the same values, but none wanted important than the boston red sox. but anyway, in her role for those of you who follow, she obviously has been extraordinary and this institution has been strong and steady ever since she took over and frankly before our fearless leader here opened the door, which has been celebrated today, everybody knows they have
1:17 am
done an extraordinary job during a time of unprecedented prosperity at home including a period which america enjoyed an earned huge respect around the world. president clinton understood in a complex and changing world that we will be more impressed, as he said, by the power of example and the person who president clinton said best exemplifies that particular principal at this time is president obama. i would say that the power of our example has been very strong, stronger than some have
1:18 am
perceived and the fact is whether in afghanistan or whether we are edging out a drawdown or a bilateral security agreement when we did drive us down or the far east and we have rebalancing with the s.t.a.r.t. treaty in the middle east today and many other things, the president engagement has underscored many times over in promoting peace and security and shared prosperity around the world. and this includes a 20 year veteran of that committee and i will tell you that it has become far more clear to me and this
1:19 am
has been absolutely true that if we move in the direction to one of them, climate change or a host of other challenges, we will do it with our leadership and the highest standards and it is my privilege to serve as the president and secretary of state. i get to witness how much good and how much the diplomats do around the world including this for a period of time, that he shared with me about diplomacy and it comes from the ability to see the world through someone else's i am the eye of people in another country. and today it isn't just about
1:20 am
how people in other parts of the world through their own challenges, but we have to be far more conscious about how our leadership looks through other people's eyes. as was mentioned a moment ago, this came back from prime minister benjamin netanyahu and others in the past eight months over more than 100 days abroad in every corner of the world, i have seen how our allies and partners and those who wish to challenge a do us harm and they are sizing us up. everyday they are taking our measurements and what we do in washington does matter deeply for them.
1:21 am
including the good that can never happen again. as the president obama said, the shutdown encouraged our competitors and friends and those who looked at us for steady leadership and this includes some of the summit that i went to in one or another could buy our meals and there were real consequences to our not being here. now that this is no longer an elected office, celebrating this is part of the progressive challenges ahead, i want to reflect on what we have just been through and a key component
1:22 am
of our national power. none of what occurred is worry reversible and the strength of our principles are still the envy of the world. but it requires that we don't lock ourselves to the brink of every opportunity that we get. during the shutdown i was attending the summit in indonesia and the global entrepreneurship in malaysia and i spoke with our allies throughout asia and that is a region that matters deeply to us and it matters to our security and this is closely intertwined
1:23 am
in the complex world that we are living in today. the strength of our partnership is much greater than a moment in politics. those politics also, i'm telling you, clearly weighed on their minds. and it has entered into the calculation of leaders as we negotiate with the middle east peace process in israel and can we be counted upon and will the congress come true and can the president make the simplistic dialogue that came with it and it didn't impress anyone about the power of america's example and we didn't need to talk to an asian foreign minister in order to get a sense of that. just go online and read any number of our allies papers, the
1:24 am
daily telegraph says the u.s. is recklessly throwing weights future and urging america to start holding their citizens hostage. the biggest business reported the damage done is great and has shaken america's reputation and notice how none of these assessments blamed one political party or another. they took no interest whatsoever in opinion polling or consequences for 2016 or who won the senate. no, they simply wanted to know if america would be a credible partner. i believe that we can end our and others' need to study a course to rebuild this in the
1:25 am
days to come and if we let these differences overwhelm diplomacy, it will undermine our shared values and interests and no longer whether our politics stop at the border's edge, but whether it stops us from providing the leadership that the world needs and the question is whether america will leave this global economy which is the solution to what the panel was talking about in this includes energy policy with global climate change and it was a 1 trillion-dollar market with 1 billion users and it has about 5 billion users as well over the next 20 or 30 years.
1:26 am
so even i know that we make the right choices we can get there. the question is whether we have this in the magnet for the world's greatest and brightest minds and if we continue to welcome foreign citizens who welcomed us in the united states, we can get there to make that choice and whether we will invest in this at home to ensure that the united states can compete and win in this highly competitive global marketplace. you and i know that we can do that but we have to make this a priority at a time of drastically cutting government spending. when these questions are avoided altogether and they are put on the back of burner, when we tie one hand behind our backs
1:27 am
whether through political stalemates or shutting down the government, we diminish our influence and frustrate our own aspirations and the fact is that the shutdown created temporary but real consequences and our ability to work with our partners in the shutdown didn't just shut down the world war ii and while, as unfortunate as that was. but it started our ability to promote the principles and values that we sacrificed for. it closed the doors to those who weren't learning and contributing to our economy. and it's shutdown delayed security and a region that is undergoing tremendous upheaval.
1:28 am
including officials whose jobs is to enforce sanctions against iran and have brought us to this moment of precious possibility in the region. shutting down noble laureates or working to put critical research funding for tomorrow. and negotiations were also delayed and this has championed american exports create jobs at home and help europe and the far east created jobs to come out of the system. for this political moment is far more than symbolism. far more than a local fight to
1:29 am
our power and example and we have another date looming and the experience must serve as a stern warning to all that it should force us to consider what the world will look like if america is less president unless credible in the greatest danger to america doesn't come from this but the damage we are capable of doing their own dysfunction and the risks that may see restraint were limited leadership as a result and it doesn't mean that america ought to serve as the world's policeman and that is not what president obama is talking about. you can't solve every problem and certainly not on our own. we remain the anchor of global security and a catalyst of global prosperity.
1:30 am
this is not the time to retreat or retrench. because when we help other countries stand on their own 2 feet, we create training partner serves for businesses. ..
1:31 am
>> has a model i seek we have a special responsibility to demonstrate democracy does
1:32 am
deliver for its citizens. when democracy appears dysfunctional aspiring people who are likely to settle, extremists in autocrats the bigger the platform the greater our danger is connecting i have often said america is not exceptional because we talk about ourselves to stand up and say we are exceptional it is not because we say we are but because we do exceptional things in the always have we defeated the access of power billions of dollars in their recovery and we never asked to be paid back we face down the soviet union with the force of the ideals without
1:33 am
resorting to force of arms were the nation that sought aid spiraling out of control in africa most people thought we could never bring it in that we have the resources to lead a global response that now looks at the possibility of the aids free generation. you led the effort to reduce the child mortality by 60 percent in afghanistan 3 million more afghan girls are in school and raised life expectancy rates in so many ways or examples where we have helped others with no request in return for their all exceptional. our leaders have deep disagreements.
1:34 am
but those leaders shared a deeper commitment to their responsibilities in the world. they understood while differences could be clear and they cannot be crippling the power never comes from any ideology but the principle the action of all of us together as one nation and as the aspirations that make america great go global there are incredible opportunities for america to benefit. the work we do over their cohorts -- the high standards we set, all of them can create jobs and opportunity here at home. we cannot afford to see the best possibilities for others have decided as we
1:35 am
have the world watches us and i can feel it and hear it. the shutdown is behind us but to still stare us in the face. the weeks and months to come we need the conversation to be worthy of the confidence of trust to recognize part and parcel of the mayor does it example in the world to commit to reaching across the aisle and across the world as those who did before us so we can do the exceptional things that america has always done and that americans expect as their leaders and government to do. that is how we reach our responsibilities for the nation in the world.
1:36 am
[applause] now it is my pleasure to introduce our colleague the in champion in the fight against climate change from a vice president al gore it is already gone from said -- obstruction to reality. fires our hotter and droughts are bigger in the storms our fiercer. superstorm sandy crippled new york city causing $65 billion of damage last month records fires washed away roads damaged and destroyed thousands of homes to killed at least eight people. for too long hour political leaders were tried research to dismiss the science others thought the dangers of climate change only become real huang after we were dead.
1:37 am
they thought they leave it to another government or generation to make the hard choice this but al gore decided so they needed to save the difficult thing and he told us the truth. climate changes real and it happens right now we need it today, not tomorrow vice president gore did not begin with he talked to the chest by the time we were together in the clinton administration as a congressman and senator he was already the expert in environmental policy as vice president in an early advocate to work alongside president clinton to improve
1:38 am
the health of a global warming the champion of science and openness it is climate change more than any other that defines vice president gore into the eyes of the public can't he is a tireless educator and advocate he knows climate science backward and forward one and nobel prize yesterday he stayed up 24 hours going around the world to make that clarion call to do something but vice president gore does not see any problem as retractable but despite formidable opposition has never lost or his belief that solutions exist to curb temperatures are billed resilience to the extreme weather events to save the planet for future generations.
1:39 am
police shortly to welcome my good friend vice president al gore. [applause] >> they q very much ladies and gentlemen. i am happy to be here and thank you for your generous words. i am really here for one main reason because of you and your colleagues here at the center for american progress i want to congratulate you on the tenth anniversary celebration in the gathering you make a tremendous difference i wanted to graduate the president here and to all of you who are supporters fiat, 54 providing tangible support for the organization that really is at the center of
1:40 am
things to make a tremendous difference to get things done thank you please continue to support cap. you have so much energy and drive, god bless you i really appreciate what you do. i enjoyed working with you in the white house and i admire what you are doing. i enjoyed listening to john kerry. has he been doing a great job as secretary of state? [applause] to gina mccarthy speaker earlier? she is doing a terrific job as the head of the epa and i got in with the wee hours i came down too late to hear the entire panel but of course, dan jones and carol
1:41 am
are some of the individuals making a tremendous difference it is an honor to share this podium with them. so john mentions after 24 hours of reality this is the third year in a role that the climate reality project went all the way around the world from every time zone and the world bank cave in live and we updated the economic report a and we had individuals who have been paying the cost of car been suffering the consequences of the extreme whether even into a set of monitors between kenya and somalia rehabs stories reflecting the hardship into word by those who make their
1:42 am
livelihood bangladesh who have to move back from the coastal areas and postilions and all over the world. there was a very moving telecast 20 million viewers viewers, a 220 2.-- twitter messages and we have not counted facebook or pinterest but there is a very big change under way. part of what i will tell you about today is why i am optimistic the cost of car bin is the phrase that i use. the governor i should have michio speaking next i am a big admirer of your work he
1:43 am
just mentioned superstorm sandy in the other events that have captured attention recently. when the movie the inconvenience truce came out the skeptics have picked up the scene on the movie that features the animation of the ocean water from the atlantic going into the world trade center memorial site as a result of continuing sea level rise and a storm surge and they say hall of ridiculous -- how ridiculous? tragically it happened last october and of course, the impact of that event of $60 billion once an a 1,000
1:44 am
years storm people forgot had actually 14 months tuesday before superstar sandy was hurricane ike read which caused $15 billion of damage to the biggest impact farther north of new york city near city got the brunt of it. we see these on a regular basis boulder colorado last month a once an a multi thousand year you sent. yosemite park they have just a '01 degree increase of coble temperatures it is predicted pretty much locked in at this point in many areas of the american west a sixfold increase in the area burned of forest fires the
1:45 am
fire season has expanded by 78 days. mile home city of nashville we had once an a 1,000 year rate of thousands of neighbors lost them because they never had insurance because it never flooded. pakistan, 20 million people displaced from their homes by the biggest flood in living memory caused by one of the gigantic downpours it is the cost of carbon and not included on the balance sheets or the way we calculate profit and loss and productivity and growth and the holy grail as is to find in a totally insane way to exclude the so-called negative externality with extreme weather events but whether we make progress or
1:46 am
not for the values that we share when we measure progress that of the negative but external and mental health care and community services to produce benefits that come rolling back to enrich our lives but they are not measured or reflected in the mathematics we used to define what we've been by progress. it is not that is one of the reasons why so many people feel we can / investment and public good without absolute impunity but we are hurting what progress would mean to any sensible rational -- rational person. the depletion of natural resources so when we overuse the ground water from the
1:47 am
river or threaten it with the exxon pipeline that the diver to. [laughter] just for a moment. , ridiculous? it is an atrocity. i am understand president obama i am a big fan i appreciate his speeches on climate where he directed gina mccarthy to deregulating co2 is fantastic. it is a legacy issue now but i hope as he gets down to sid decision and he a understands clearly what is at stake. this should be vetoed. it is an atrocity in the threat to our future and our addiction to high intensity 30 carbon based fuels you
1:48 am
know, who that when the abeyance give out a year by a weirdo going after these ridiculously dirty and dangerous fuel said we have to stop them but we exclude all that from the calculation and threaten the ground water or the topsoil what else is excluded to measure progress? distribution of income. that is not calling for redistribution although i am in favor of a more favorable tax rate hour periods of greatest progress and growth of our country and economy have been the time set of coincided with less in the quality. this is an issue that those who believe in progress have to grab ahold of because when the american people see our gdp has gone up did we
1:49 am
have progress we're doing great we don't feel it. one reason is 95% of all additional income we have experienced since the recovery began has the fact gone to the top 1 percent that is not occupy wall street slogan but a fact. demonstrable not in dispute. when you have a 400 wealthiest universal at long dash people having more assets than the bottom 50%? what is the debate with the fed? it doesn't get more money into circulation so the hydraulics of the economy will operate so they can have the escape velocity from the forces pulling as to the great recession.
1:50 am
if we need more plush doesn't matter 50 percent of the income goes to the wealthiest 400 people? that takes it out of circulation and the idea they're all job creators? they will not create jobs if they don't have money in their pockets to buy what the factory will make or invest? the best is one that we have to grab ahold of. the united states is more unequal or to the shad or egypt. social mobility many if you are well aware, is far less than virtually any use that phrase when people say the american dream but there are too many that roll their eyes. the dream is still alive the we have not have policies or initiatives or activism that
1:51 am
is capable to bring that dream to life. now speaking of the great recession. what ignited it? the crisis is -- credit crisis when it was that? is of prime mortgage fiasco. food new if you do 7.5 million mortgages to someone who cannot make a down payment or a monthly payment that there would be business risk associated with that? [laughter] when i made my first mortgage in my 20s after i came back from vietnam i sat across the desk from the banker he asked me a long series of questions i had to insert it in writing their all intended to boost his confidence i could make the monthly payments that i had a right to check for a down
1:52 am
payment. i missed the memo when that requirement was eliminated. a stripper in las vegas bought seven homes from some of -- sub prime mortgages and you know, we had become a roving into some businesses as a result but it was a deadly risk to the economy and it would defy you ration was set on the artificial assumptions was challenged then the value collapsed and of mortgages were repriced that is what triggered the credit crisis. now we have on the books the large public multinational energy companies, a $7 trillion of some of prime carr bin assets. it is based that is even
1:53 am
more ridiculous or absurd than those that cannot make a monthly payment for home mortgages but the assumption is they can be sold and berndt. they cannot we're not putting up every 24 hours we act as if it is an open sewer. it is not. the end of the 19th century they had a cholera epidemic in london and a great doctor put of map to over they of the sewer system. by connecting the dots he could find one single malfunctioning pump was the cause of the epidemic and a few years later passed to were connected more dots and found out the cause and it
1:54 am
is no longer the terrible scourge. it is still a problem but not what it was. >> thieves. >> can we will still be wearing the earth but that mandated solution has that much extra heat every day and to that is the equivalent of the atomic bomb but say it is some of the low side effect. i am not taking federates
1:55 am
but today's superstorm 74 and moving into the coast it was 9 degrees fahrenheit above average in the atlantic ocean in the areas from where it came. coincidence? know it is of a coincidence. with as well as scientists have been predicting for decades. why are we failing to act? it is a lot of things. denial is part of it but also to see our democracy no longer operates on behalf of the public interest and you know, that. it has worked extremely well
1:56 am
but donors should not be anonymous. we have to become involved a famous poet that the words but rupert murdoch that are other deniers but here is a verbatim quote from the ceo exxonmobil. what good is it? i fet you are like me and don't know where to start. i get the fact the business model and are based on
1:57 am
extending that valuation as long as they possibly can with the formation of public policy based on reason in support of the public interest not private with the cost that they have so much does not mean we cannot take it back. you're right i am mad about this. you will hear people say it is like a throw away a lot and i love this country. i do love this country dammit. our country is in very deep trouble. what happened down there is pathetic. it is pitiful. it is not enough to serve
1:58 am
the epithet their way. there are good people trapped in a bad system. when i went to congress in 1970 is i felt like it was such a privilege that the risk of sounding corny to go to the town hall meetings to take people's ideas to go back in and work every vote i cast or speech i made for most was is and how will this affect my constituents? here is the fact. today members of congress are put it in the situation they're forced into four or five hours every single day in to 72 by the next 302nd
1:59 am
ad for the next election. you don't see that has an impact for them? it has to. the next time they vote ploy virginia will be tough tomorrow but to lie not in the concert was what the legislative agenda is a and it is all one big mass but if we talk about the progressive agenda toward getting anything else it is no accident that the public interest is all on the back fletch.
2:00 am
trying desperately to do something to fight back but but when that comes down fairer his mind favorite player, michael jordan but every person on the court man on man and it is true so many of them are in right now. we have to take a look at the sub prime carbamide assets. . . . .

36 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on